The Krems tobacco factory was erected as early as in 1852. After it had ceased to function as a factory but proven its qualities as an exhibition building for temporary exhibitions, an international architectural competition regarding its conversion was conducted. The winning project by architect Adolf Krischanitz was implemented without any compromises; it focuses on the dialogical contrast of old structure – the former tobacco factory – and a newly created construction – the exhibition hall with the lecture hall. This structure, which was added to the hook-shaped existing building in the North, jointly with the development ramp in the East, forms an inner yard; this yard was covered with a glass roof and developed as an additional exhibition room in the course of the project. The old and new structures combined form a series of differently structured and conditioned areas, such as the exhibition rooms proper, the lecture hall, the restaurant and foyer, the offices, storage rooms and technical rooms. In the historical part, the supporting wood columns and hence the early industrial character of the old building could be preserved. All additions to the existing structure can be identified as such due to the material chosen (fair-faced concrete), the event-oriented access path, however, connects old and new to an entity of natural homogeneity.
(From: Denkmalpflege in Niederösterreich, Bd.19, 1997)